Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
- Nothing to eat or drink for a minimum of 6-8 hours prior to surgery (including water).
- Take ALL regular medications unless told otherwise with only a small sip of water.
For patients who are taking blood thinning medications (ie: Coumadin/Warfarin) please have your INR checked 3 days prior to your scheduled surgery and have the results faxed to our office at 941-926-9105.
- If you are a Diabetic-please skip your medications on the morning of your surgery. If you start to feel light headed you may sip apple juice.
- A driver is REQUIRED to bring you and take you home from your appointment. Plan to leave your personal belongings with your driver.
- Plan to rest the remainder of the day. Do NOT drive a vehicle, operate any machinery or sign any legal documents for 24 hours following your surgery.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbows and low healed or flat shoes. Minimal make up and jewelry should be worn.
- Soft foods and liquids are best the first day. Maintain a soft diet for several days and gradually progress to solid foods.
If an antibiotic is given please start one (1) day PRIOR to surgery and take one (1) tablet four (4) times daily as follows. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime.